Tuesday, May 20, 2008




This installation was created as a reaction/interpretation of another artist's work. I chose Sarah Sze for the way she interprets space, language and narrative through objects. When I see her work/read about it It made me remember how I would organize my things when I was a child--the way I constructed relationships between objects that I felt were necessary , what had to go next to what and what that meant. Those objects had much more meaning however than the objects I used here. Have I made each of these objects very personal to me by organizing them?
At the same time, the temporaryness about how she organized objects appealed to me...a paper cup sitting on the ground that should/would be moved soon? Her pieces contain pathways, stairways etc that often lead up into the air. The building up and trailing off into nothing is a nice moment, and again made me think about childhood/constructing an imaginary space or necessary order. Each object becomes meaningful because of the objects that surround it--they become connectors, support systems or focal points. All at once where things are placed seem important and intentional but also just sort floating. The meaning of each individual object is then shifted to what it means as part of the whole. The objects she/I mostly are utilitarian, ephmerel fairly banal parts of everyday. This allows each individual element not to carry too much existing meaning/metaphor.

I think there are moments of warning, escaping and anchoring. Could it be considered a still life, or sort of the freezing/preserving of a moment in time or some kind of shrine?

http://www.sarahsze.com/

No comments: